So the last few days has been a little rough. We've all gone through another round of sickness, this time a stomach bug and a very unpleasant one at that. Wednesday I was on my way to the doctor's office for routine checkups for both boys, when Joshua puked up his breakfast. I didn't think much of it until later that day when he wasn't eating well...not usual for Josh. The next evening, Henry puked in his bed while I was at worship rehearsal and two more times the next morning. It's weird, I felt fine until Matt called me to tell me the news...then my stomach started to turn. When I got home that night I felt awful. After a long night of throwing up (I literally lost count of how many times), I finally was on the upswing. It's crazy this sickness thing. It can turn our household upside down.
My first reaction to all of this upset was to be super disappointed. It seems every time I have plans or it comes around to the weekend, the kids get sick. But then I read an article sent to me by my sweet friend, Meridith, and my whole perspective changed in an instant. The article noted that stay-at-home Moms often lose sight of the kingdom of God and start feeling they have little or no impact. What I had forgotten is staying at home and raising my children and taking good care of my family is a gift that I have been given and God has asked me to be faithful in everything.
Colossians 3:23
| Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. |
|
|
Sure there are many sacrifices to be made...making food that will more than likely end up on the floor, folding endless piles of clothes, missing special events because the kids are sick and inevitably cleaning up nasty messes (like vomit), but I am determined to have joy in my heart while doing these tasks because:
Nehemiah 8:10
| The joy of the LORD is your strength. |
|
|
Think about the feeding of the five thousand when the disciples went out and rounded up the food that was available. It wasn’t much. Some loaves. Some fish. Think of some woman pulling her fish out and handing it to one of the disciples. That had to have felt like a small offering. But the important thing about those loaves and those fishes was not how big they were when they were given, it was about whose hands they were given into. In the hands of the Lord, that offering was sufficient. It was more than sufficient. There were leftovers. Given in faith, even a small offering becomes great. (from http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/motherhood-as-a-mission-field)
2 Corinthians 9:7
For God loves a person who gives cheerfully. |
|
|
So no matter how many mountains of laundry, how many dirty diapers, how many sink-fulls of dishes, how many times I repeat "Be kind and gentle", how many events I miss...I will do it with joy in my heart and a smile on my face. Because the Lord has been good to me. God has given me these times of joy!