Sep 16, 2011

The E.R.

So this week was quite interesting.  Henry came down with a serious cough Wednesday morning.  Matt heard him in his room sounding like a barking seal.  I ended up taking him to the doctor that day to get him checked out.  Dr. Smith said he had a virus, she gave him a steroid and said he should be feeling better by morning.  However, when morning rolled around, unfortunately, no such luck.  Henry still sounded pretty bad and he was definitely having trouble breathing.  As the day rolled on, he progressively got worse.  I called the doctor again and left a message.  They called me back in record time and told me to take him to the E.R.  At this point, I knew that he definitely needed attention.  He was just laying on the floor with his chest heaving, desperately fighting for his next breath of air.  I called Matt at work and told him to meet me at the E.R. and then I got moving so I could get the kids packed up and get out the door before rush hour traffic hit.  We arrived at the hospital and they checked him out immediately.  They knew almost instantaneously what he had.  I overheard one of the doctors say, "sounds like croup to me."  They checked his lungs and did a breathing treatment and we were asked to stick around for a couple hours so they could monitor his progress.  After a bit, the breathing treatment started to wear off and he was back to his labored breathing.  They told us it would probably be best to admit him so they could keep a close eye on him.  Henry was a champ.  He was so compliant and sweet the whole time.  And everyone kept talking about how cute he was.  The only trouble we had with him was trying to keep the little monitor stickers on his belly so they could watch his vitals.  Mom came to the hospital to bring us some things from home and check on Henry.  Henry was so excited to see Nana and loved visiting.  As it was getting late, Mom started to rub his head and calm him down to go to sleep.  She stood next to his hospital bed and spoke softly to him for a good 20 minutes before she started to pack up to leave.  Right before she left, Henry said in a sweet soft voice, "Nana, can you get me out of dis bed?"
Today, Henry is so much better and I am thanking God continually for His healing hand on Henry.  Before we left today we met a little boy named Dominique who assumedly has cancer.  The little boy was only 7 years old and what an inspiring, and joyful child.  Henry was absolutely enthralled with him.  I asked one of the nurses if he is there frequently and she nodded. My heart goes out to that boy and his parents.  I cannot fathom being in the hospital for an extended period of time.
Thank you God that I have two very HEALTHY boys that can function and accomplish so much in this life.  I pray that you would show them their life's purposes at an early age.  I pray you would give them spiritual wisdom and knowledge of who You are.  Let them seek you as desperately as Henry was reaching for that next breath of air.  Lord, let them know that you have prepared good works in advance for them.  That you love them and formed them in my womb.  That you know them intimately and long for deep relationship with them.  Each day, each breath is a gift.  God I thank you for each of your unfailing promises for us.  I love you, my Jesus!